Wednesday, October 1, 2008

emotional design pt. 2

1. "Supermarkets long ago learned to put the most frequently desired items at the rear of the store forcing buyers to pass by isles of tempting impulse purchases. Moreover, related items can be placed nearby." I found this quote very interesting. I have been going to supermarkets every Sunday consistently for almost a year to check out what they had and just to have some fun. When I started to think about the stores that I would go into I did start to realize that. I have always thought it to be normal to have all of the meat, milk and everything you really need in the back of the store and never questioned it. I now know why if I had to go in the store for one thing I would end up leaving with three or four different things that I didn't really need and sometimes I would forget why I even came to the store and would have to go back in to get the thing that I needed.

2. With Norman using Visceral Design, Behavioral Design, and Reflective design I find that it was a great way to break up the different ways that something can be designed. I know that when I see a product I will evaluate it differently depending on which design it is. I think that Norman could have used better names for the three different types of design. For Visceral Design I would have used the name visual design because it is all about the first impression and how people say that they have got to have that. For Behavioral design I would have named it use design because it is all about how you use the product and not about what it looks like it. For reflective design I would have named it self-image design because the product is about what kind of image the product gives you.

3. I think that a designer could decide what design was better for their product by what their product was. If they are trying to make cloths or watches I think that Reflective Design would be the best design but if a person was making professional equipment I think that the Behavioral Design would be the best for that person because the people using them do not care about what they look like but how the product works. I think that some types of products are more visceral, behavioral, or reflective. Depending on the group of people that you are trying to sell the product to should depend on what type of design you use with your product.

No comments: