Thursday, October 2, 2008

simplicity is highly overrated

1. Sometimes complex things can be more more desirable. One thing that comes to my mind is my friend's microwave. It is a really cool microwave that can do all of these different options. It has a toaster on it plus all of these really fancy buttons. The first time I tried to use the machine I could not even get it started. Once i figured it out i learned how to use the basic toaster and the microwave features but not much else. I still would like to get that microwave but not anytime soon.

2. I think that complexity is justified when you are working with things that can do many different things. It is alright for a printer/copier/scanner/fax machine to be complex because it can do so many different things that it would be quite difficult to make it super simple. I think that simplicity is needed when it is a simple machine. A product that only has one feature does not need to be super complex for it to work and there are ways to make a product like that easy to use.

3. I thought this was interesting because this statement is very true and many people do say that they don't care how they present themselves to others but that is completely false in my opinion. I think that the majority of purchases today are all for a way to present ourselves to others in a positive way. Many people buy certain clothes to gain attention and get recognition as being in style and they try to act better then others because of what they where. People try to make there self-image look better then it really is most of the time. I think designers take this statement and put it into use all of the time and they are successful by making things people want to wear or want to use to make that person feel good about
themselves.

When Evan was talking about the different things that people wear i thought that was very interesting. I had never thought about how much people actually care about what they wear. Most of my friends say that they do not care about what they wear or what they look like but they actually do because no matter how a person dresses they think about what they are going to wear and what message they send out to everyone. that is why i thought it was interesting.

No comments: